Rohr Reveals How Super Eagles Plan To Break Down IcelandPublished: June 22, 2018
In his final statements before the Super Eagles crucial World Cup match against Iceland, manager Gernot Rohr says he is confident that his team will beat the Nordic country as his players have impressed him in training sessions since their loss to Croatia in their first fixture.
Nigeria will move to second in the Group D standings if they beat Iceland after Argentina's humiliating defeat to Croatia on Thursday.
''It is important because the winner tonight will be second in the group, so it's a big challenge for us, more motivation,'' Rohr told reporters at the Volgograd Arena, Volgograd on Friday afternoon.
''We were already motivated but with this result, of course, everybody will give his best and play good football.
''We believe in victory because I believe in my team, we have a young team who can play good football. If they are playing like they did in training sessions this week, I think we can win this game.''
Iceland are good in set-pieces and pragmatic in their approach and Rohr has revealed how he plans to break down the European opponents.
''It will be a physical challenge for us, we are not so strong physically, perhaps, like the Iceland players.
''We can play our football and I think if we play on the ground and not too much in the air, we are quick also. It will be youthfulness against experience, so it's interesting to see.''
The Super Eagles will square off against Argentina in their last group match at the Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg on Tuesday, June 26.
Nigeria Starting XI: Uzoho; Ekong, Balogun, Omeruo; Moses, Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Idowu; Iheanacho, Musa.
Iceland Starting XI : Halldorsson, Arnason, Saevarsson, Magnusson, Sigurdsson, Bjarnason, Sigurdsson, Gislason, Gunnarsson, Finnbogason, Bodvarsson
Football News 24/7
- Official: Ivory Coast International Leaves Chelsea After Ten Years
- SK Brann Hand Trial To Ex-Manchester United Starlet Kehinde & Eagles Star Lokosa
- Two Offensive Players Of Nigerian Descent Named In Liverpool Tour Squad, Awoniyi Out
- Manchester City 0 Borussia Dortmund 1: Nmecha Shines, Dele-Bashiru Features, Tosin & Ogbeta Benched
- Confirmed: Versatile Defender Pens New Deal With Chelsea
- Iwobi Named In Arsenal's 25-Man Tour Squad To Singapore, Akpom Omitted Amid Transfer Link
- Arsenal's Nigerian Striker Close To Completing Permanent Move To Sint-Truiden
- Netherlands International Impressed By Stoke's Signing Of Nigerian World Cup Star Etebo
- Why Swiss-Nigerian Goalie Osigwe Is Wearing The No. 58 Shirt In New Season
- Nigerian Players Likely To Change Clubs: Top Five Summer Transfer Targets
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football