Mikel Confident Eagles Will Stop Messi From Setting New World Cup Record On TuesdayPublished: June 24, 2018
Super Eagles skipper John Obi Mikel is confident that the three-time African champions will be the third team to stop Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi from scoring at the 2018 World Cup after Iceland and Croatia showed them the way.
Including the Argentinian youth teams, Messi has been directly involved in 6 goals ( 4 goals, 2 assists) Argentina has scored against the Nigerian teams in only five appearances and could become the first player to score at the World Cup as a teenager, in his twenties and in his thirties if he finds the net against the Super Eagles on Tuesday.
Messi, who celebrates his 31st birthday today, first scored at the World Cup in the 2006 edition against Serbia at the age of eighteen, then netted in South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014 while in his twenties.
''It is always difficult facing Argentina, this game is a do or die game, it is not like the first game of the group or the second game, this is the last game of the group. We have to die on the pitch,'' Mikel told reporters in the mixed zone.
The Nigeria number ten added : ''It's obviously very hard to defend against (Messi). Both teams so far have done really well defending him, we have to see what we can do, how we can make sure we defend against him, not just against him but against the whole team.
''We have to play our game as well and make sure we create chances and score goals.''
The Super Eagles held their final training session at their base camp in Essentuki this morning, they will not train when the arrive in Saint Petersburg later today.
Football News 24/7
- Three Nigerian Stars Jet Off To Australia With Chelsea Squad; Moses & Omeruo Omitted
- Everton Loanee Henry Debuts For Galatasaray In Friendly Vs PSV Eindhoven
- Official: Porto Announce Signing Of Arsenal Whizkid Nwakali On Loan
- Etebo Makes Debut Off The Bench As Stoke City Lose To VfL Bochum
- Southampton New Nigerian Signing Reveals He Once Played For Chelsea
- The Real Reason Nigeria Captain Mikel Was Dropped From Tianjin Teda Squad Vs Shanghai Shenhua
- Feyenoord Teen Sensation Set To Make One Of The Most Anticipated Debuts In Nigerian Football History
- Online Sports Betting: The Very Pertinent Things To Note About This Money Spinning Business
- Bromley's Marc-Anthony Okoye Delighted To Make Home Debut Against The Eagles
- Official: England Star Makes BIG Announcement About Liverpool Future
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football