Rohr Confirms Akinyemi May Be Called Up For AFCON Qualifier, Advises Bordeaux To Sign StrikerPublished: August 07, 2018
As first reported by allnigeriasoccer.com, Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr has confirmed that red-hot
FK Ventspils striker Adeleke Akinyemi may be handed a maiden call-up to the Nigeria National Team for next month's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles.
The German football tactician observed the 19-year-old at close quarters in FK Ventspils' 2-1 loss to Bordeaux in the Europa League qualifiers last Thursday and was impressed by his qualities after scoring his 20th goal of the season against a very competitive opponent.
''I just discovered the player because he has not been in Europe for long. He left directly from an academy, not a club, in Nigeria,'' Rohr told girondins4ever.com
''He has not featured for the Nigerian youth teams or the Nigerian League. I saw his statistics, and I thought I had to look at him.
''And indeed, he was good. He has qualities, I may invite him one of these days, perhaps for the next game. I like him.''
Gernot Rohr was associated with Bordeaux for 21 years, 12 as a player and 9 in different functions including manager, and he has recommended that the Ligue 1 club should make a move for Akinyemi.
''They watched the game, monitored him. That means they take him very seriously. I think it would be worth it to recruit him, downright. I think so personally.
''He is a player who is very young, who does not cost much. He certainly has a huge room for improvement. He is powerful, he gets inside, he scores goals. It's still rare to have all these qualities,'' Rohr added.
Previously, allnigeriasoccer.com exclusively reported that Bordeaux were mulling over a move for Adeleke Akinyemi and can add that no official bid has been made for the talented teenager who is valued at 1.5 million euros by FK Ventspils.
Photo Credit : afrik-foot.com
Football News 24/7
- 40th Nigerian Player To Debut In The EPL Reacts After Starring Vs Manchester United
- Oteh On The Mark For QPR, Shodipo Feared Injured
- Official: Super Eagles Striker Gbolahan Salami Joins Turkish Club Denizlispor
- England Call-Up For Tottenham, Arsenal Starlets Of Nigerian Descent
- Nigeria U23 International Showing Off At Queens Park Rangers
- IK Start Nigeria International Lists Three Qualities Of New Signing Akinyemi
- Official: Anthony Nwakaeme Swaps Hapoel Beer Sheva For Trabzonspor
- Arsenal's Nigerian Whizkid Provisionally Cap-Tied To England Selected To Represent USA
- Torino Chief Cries Blue Murder Over Ola Aina Disallowed Assist
- Everton Loanee Henry Nets Winner; Austria Vienna's Edomwonyi At The Double
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football