'We were a little scared' - Ejuke shares his account of Super Eagles' unpleasant experience in Libya
Published: October 17, 2024
Chidera Ejuke has shared his account of the Super Eagles' difficult time in Libya, before their 2025 Africa Cup of Nations match against the Mediterranean Knights which was cancelled.
The Sevilla forward got recalled into the Nigeria squad for the first time in ages and it was an experience to forget for him and the rest of his international colleagues.
Ahead of the game, the Super Eagles departed the country for Benghazi only for their flight to be diverted.
As if the diversion wasn't enough, they weren't allowed admittance to the hotel and the Nigerian contingent got stuck at the Abraq Airport, thereby making it difficult for the Super Eagles to prepare for the encounter.
This culminated in the fixture not taking place, with the three-time African champions declining the Confederation of African Football President Patrice Motsepe's plead to have the game played as scheduled.
During the period, Sevilla attempted to pull out Ejuke and Kelechi Iheanacho before they eventually left for Nigeria.
The talented winger has resumed training with the record UEFA Europa League champions ahead of their weekend fixture with Barcelona and has detailed his ordeal during the turbulent period.
"It was a crazy situation that we did not expect. We could not do anything, we were locked in the airport," he told Diario de Sevilla.
"We were locked in for about 16 hours. Yes, it was a long time. Without food, we brought some water when we came from Nigeria and some snacks from the flight.
"We were a little scared, but we all stood together so that we wouldn't go crazy"
The 26-year-old Ejuke has established himself as a key player for GarcĂa Pimienta's side, with his flair being the major highlight of his season so far, leading the La Liga table for most dribbles completed.
Abdulkareem Abdulhamid
Copyright ANS
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Onuachu scores against Crystal Palace as Southampton battle to avoid 17-year unwanted PL record
- Galatasaray striker Osimhen responds to critics with two-goal display in win against Fenerbahce
- Hakimi is runaway favourite: Morocco star battles Moses Simon, 10 others for Marc-Vivien Foe Prize
- Super Eagles assistant coach: Why Chelle left defence unchanged after Osimhen's substitution v Warriors
- Quad-national winger eligible for Nigeria, England, Germany, Austria signs pro contract at Spurs
- Official: Talented Super Eagles-eligible midfielder signs new deal with Tottenham Hotspur
- 'Nigeria's loss is England's gain' - Monaco legend says he's a big fan of Crystal Palace dazzler Eze
- 'Aina is a utility defender' - Ikpeba defends Chelle's team selection v Zimbabwe, says Osimhen was tired
- 'Prank' - NFF dismiss reports of Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle considering contract termination
- Forest coach explains formation switch after Aina's injury, provides update on Super Eagles RB


- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Bundesliga
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Casinos not on Gamstop
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Transfer
- Turkish Championship
- 1Win
- Ukrainian Football
- Uncategorized
- Women's Football
- New88
- hi88
- RR88
- hi88